May 20, 2013

WWNPP - The First W


When I ran Cross Country in high school my coach used to require us (and still does require his team) to bring WWNPP to every single practice. Pain in the butt? Some days. Beneficial for short-term & long term improvement? Absolutely!

What exactly is WWNPP? You’ll have to keep checking back to find out!

Today, I’m talking about the first W – Water. It is so important to stay hydrated before, during, and after running.

This is Chuck.
Telling people to drink water :)
Source: Facebook (aka Kim's a creeper)

Facts about water:
Water asks as lubricant for your muscles, joints, and organs
Water is the transporter of oxygen and glucose throughout your body
Muscles need water for strength and flexibility
Joints need water to prevent stiffness

Signs of dehydration:
If you think your workout is too difficult
If you think it is too hot outside
If you feel tired or dizzy
If you feel nauseous and/or have chills

How much water should you be drinking?
Before your run
Stay hydrated in the days leading up to a big run
The day of, drink 8-16 ounces of water an hour before your run and drink another 4 right before your run
During your run
Rule of thumb: take in 4-6 ounces of fluid every 20 minutes during your run
If you’re running for longer than an hour make sure you have a Gatorade too!
After your run
You should drink a bottle of water (or more) after your run
Your urine should be the color of lemonade – that is how you know your properly hydrated!

This is mile 15ish of my 30K last year.
Definitely needed a water bottle during that race!

How I remember to drink water:
I have a 32oz water bottle that I fill up in the morning. I don't drink any other delicious beverages until I finish my water (I love sweet tea so this is good encouragement!). I drink one full water bottle before lunch and one after lunch. I try to remember to have a third full water bottle between the time I get home and the time I go to sleep...that one is hit or miss :)

 Read here & here for more info.

Do you drink enough water?

Any tips on how to drink more water during the day?

1 comment:

  1. Great List and many good points. I will use it for the kids.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you're thinking about...