What’s my favorite season? …Well…It’s whatever season it happens to be when you ask me that question. So right now, it’s summer! Here’s why (in no particular order):
1. Cookouts. The smell of hamburgers on the grill = amazing. My mouth is watering just thinking about it! Plus summer cookouts usually involve water fights, watermelon seed spitting contests, and cornhole competitions – 3 more reasons why I love summer!
2. Baseball. I mean really, is there a better place to be on Thursday nights than at Slugger Field’s $1 beer night? I think not! Plus, hot guys in baseball pants – enough said (am I right Jennifer Vernia, or am I right?). Summer also means road trips to Great American Ballpark with Dad. Decked out in Reds gear, surrounded by a cheering crowd, and enjoying a ballpark hotdog – pretty good reason to play hooky from work, dontcha’ think?
3. Fruit. Strawberries, watermelon, cantaloupe, raspberries, peaches. Delicious, fresh fruit that you can only get in the summer. Plus – they all taste so much better when eaten poolside!
4. Fourth Of July fireworks. When the lights flash and the boom echoes though the night, it’s so magical. I love the colors that light up the night. Most of all, I love when you can feel the fireworks from the top of your head to the tip of your toes. It’s breathtaking.
5. Loooooooooong days. I hate short days when you drive to work in the dark and drive home in the dark. I swear there were a few days last winter when I didn’t even see the sun! In the summer I need sunglasses for my drive to work and I have time after work to run, make dinner, and eat outside and be able to see what I’m eating. Long summer days are full of possibility. It seems like there is always time to do one more thing before night falls.
6. Summer nights. As contradicting as this is to number 5….Sitting on the porch late at night listening to ‘summer sounds’ is pretty much the most relaxing thing ever…especially when drinking wine :) Even when it’s 90 degrees, you feel the need to throw on a hoodie while staring up at the stars for hours.
7. Summer Runnin’. Yes, it’s 90 degrees. Yes, the sun is beating down on the pavement. Yes, you end up with awkward sports bra and running watch tan lines. Yes, when you finish you’re sweating so much you look like you jumped in a pool fully clothed (have I convinced you to start running yet?). BUT – there is usually a sprinkler to run through, a gallon of chocolate milk to drink, or a ginormous Strawberry Shortcake to eat that makes it totally worth it…not to mention a sense of accomplishment and the fact that your bikini fits perfectly :)
8. Music. Some songs are just better in the summer. This is especially true when you’re driving with the sunroof open and windows down singing loudly and totally off key :)
9. Short skirts and Tshirts. Don’t get me wrong, I love layering up in the fall - matching scarves with tops and breaking out my boots. By the time January and February roll around however, I’m over it. I love tank tops and twirly skirts. I also love the bright crazy colors (ok, so I wear bright crazy colors year round, but they are harder to come by in the winter!).
10. Acting like a kid. There’s something about summer that brings out the kid in all of us.
1) Eating an ice cream cone on a 90 degree day, trying to savor every bite while catching the drips as they run down your arm. 2) Challenging your cousins to a hoola hoop/hop scotch/waffle ball competition.
3) Swinging on a tire swing 4) Cannon Balls 5) How many seconds can you hold your breath under water?
6) Pedaling as hard as you can and flying down a hill with no hands on your bike handlebars 7) Catching lightening bugs 8) Making S’mores 9) Chalk on the driveway…and your hands…and your clothes…
10) Double features at the drive in