My last EIGHT runs have been inside on the treadmill and I am over it. I'm hitting up the treadmill for the last time today and I will be OUTSIDE for my long run tomorrow.
It'll only be in the 20s when I run, but the thought of 8 miles on the treadmill makes me want to quit running and become a professional hibernator. Instead of crying about it again...I'm bundling myself up and heading outside.
I've been mentally preparing myself since yesterday afternoon and I already have my outfit planned :) I posted these tips last winter, but I'm posting them again in hopes that it motivates you to take your runs outside this weekend too!
Cold Weather Running Tips
- Make sure you wear the proper clothing. Your outfit should vent - do not run in cotton! It is no fun to be cold AND wet while running.
- Layer up - but don't wear too many layers. I've always been told the rule of thumb is to dress like it's 10-20 degrees warmer than it really is. You want to be warm, but you don't want to sweat a lot and catch a chill. Make sure your outer layer is windproof. Also make sure your outer layers are bright and reflective.
- Wear a hat! Heat escapes from your head and you need to retain as much heat as possible when it's negative degrees out. Don't forget your gloves or mittens either - heat also escapes from your hands and feet.
- Make sure your shoes have traction. This is especially important when the roads are slick.
- Protect your eyes. I don't know about you, but the cold and wind really bugs my eyes and makes them water. I recommend investing in a good pair of athletic sunglasses. This is also helpful when the sun is reflecting off of the snow.
- Don't forget fluids! Fluids are just as important when its cold as they are when it is hot out. Cold air dries out your skin and can have a dehydrating effect.
- As always: carry your ID or cell phone, run with a buddy if possible, and let someone know your route.
Don't worry friends - spring is on its way!
What do you consider the perfect running temperature?
How cold does it have to get to force your run inside?