March 2, 2015

Half Marathon Training Week 4


Click below to see my 2015 Kentucky Derby Festival Half Marathon training recaps:

Happy March, everyone! Finishing up with Week 4 means that I'm a third of the way through my training plan. There are less than 8 weeks until the half marathon! I am starting to feel much stronger on all of my runs and its great to be back in a training groove.

Monday: 3.5 mile run, check!
I felt good during my run on Monday, which was surprising because I was worried I would be sore after my Sunday long run. I thought I was in the clear BUT my entire body locked up on Monday night while I was working my way through a carton of ice cream and watching The Bachelor. I started YouTubing stretching videos right away!

Time: 33:47 Pace: 9:39 

Tuesday: 35 minute tempo run, check!
I did a 12 minute stretching video before my run that focused specifically on IT band, shin splints, and hip flexors. It was so painful and I loved it. I felt much better afterwards so I hoped on the treadmill for my tempo run. I did not work hard enough. I was on my last 5 minutes and wasn't breathing any harder than an average run. I know to SPEED IT UP next time.

10 minute warm up @ 9:41 pace
5 minutes @ 9:32 pace
5 minutes @ 9:23 pace
5 minutes @ 9:14 pace
5 minutes @ 9:05 pace
5:31 minute cool down @ 9:41 pace

Distance: 3.75 miles Time: 35:31 Average Pace: 9:20

Wednesday: 3 mile run, check!
I did my stretching video again before my run and then popped in HP 7 (part 1) and got to runnin'. Seriously people - if it doesn't warm up soon, I'm going to need some movie recommendations.

Time: 29:24 Pace: 9:48

Thursday: Rest Day, check!
I was glad to rest. I'm definitely starting to feel sore all over, but it is a really good sore feeling (not a painful sore feeling!). This is the sore that I love - knowing I'm working hard and continuing to improve every day.

Friday: 3 mile run, check!
Rest Days are like a warm hug from your best friend. I felt great on Friday and rocked my run.

Time: 28:24 Pace: 9:27

Saturday: 8 mile run, check!
I misjudged the temperature on Saturday morning and it was pretty cold (22 feels like 13, yikes!)...but there was no way I was getting on the treadmill. I convinced The Professor to bundle up and run outside with me. 6 miles for him and 8 miles for me. I had every intention of sticking back with him, but my legs were SO FLIPPIN EXCITED to finally be outside that they just took off. I felt strong and wanted to see what I could do...so I did! Splits: 9:51, 10:21, 9:25, 9:34, 9:30, 9:18, 9:05, 9:05.


I felt a little twinge in my hip during miles 7 and 8 so I stretched A LOT when I got home. My new favorite stretch is the pigeon pose. I have a whole post planed for my favorite stretches but I have to blackmail ask The Professor to take a few hundred pictures of me before I can finish it up and get it posted.

Time: 1:16:13 Pace: 9:31

Sunday: Rest Day, check!
We celebrated my bestie's birthday on Saturday night so I was extra thankful for this rest day. How cute is it that her boyfriend's birthday is the day before hers? They're adorable and I love them.


I thought a good way to end this week's post would be a little comparison chart of my training weeks so far, so here ya go:


How far was your longest run last week? 
Which workout are you most excited for this week?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you're thinking about...