February 23, 2015

Half Marathon Training Week 3


Click below to see my 2015 Kentucky Derby Festival Half Marathon training recaps:

Week 3 was challenging. I did my first non-treadmill speed workout and pushed myself extra hard on my treadmill runs. My hip was KILLING me after my speed workout so I took extra time to stretch this week (something I should have been doing all along).

Monday: 3.5 mile run, check!


We work up to a winter wonderland in progress on Monday so it was back on the treadmill for me. I considered an all natural ice bath after my run, but  I went back inside and had 200 mugs of hot chocolate instead.

Time: 34:17 Pace: 9:47

Tuesday: 6 x 400 @ 5K Pace, check!
The Professor joined me for a 400 workout on the indoor track at the Centre Gym. It was SO NICE to be on the track (even though it was indoors). 400m was 3 laps around the indoor track which was interesting, but once we got going, I got used to it. I had initially planned on running at at 8:30 5K pace (2:06 400), but as soon as I ran the first 400, I knew I had underestimated myself. Running negative splits was rough, but I felt great when I finished the workout I ended up running just under an 8:00 5K pace for my 400s.

1 mile warm up
400m @ 1:59
400m @ 1:57
400m @ 1:55
400m @ 1:54
400m @ 1:51
400m @ 1:47
1 mile cool down

Wednesday: 3 mile run, check!
I stretched before and after my speed workout on Tuesday, but my hip was killing me on Wednesday morning. I did a lot of stretching and took my recovery run nice and easy...and enjoyed some more Harry Potter.


Time: 29:39 Pace: 9:52

Thursday: Rest Day, check!
I spent my rest day doing research on foam rollers and fall marathons. I'm trying to debate whether or not I should get a foam roller. I'm done debating on whether or not to run a fall marathon. The debate is now WHICH fall marathon I should run!

Friday: 3 mile run, check!
It was -10 degrees when I woke up on Friday morning, so, yea, more treadmilling. I timed my run perfectly with the end of Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix. It better warm up soon. I don't know what I'm going to do when I finish my Harry Potter Run-athon :(

Time: 28:41 Pace: 9:33

Saturday: Rest Day, check (swap with Sunday).
I was supposed to do my 7 mile run on Saturday morning and burst into tears when I looked out the window and it was a sleety, slushy mess. It would not have been safe to run outside and the thought of 7 miles on the treadmill threw me into a tailspin. Seasonal Affective Disorder is a real thing, people! I couldn't convince myself to run so I did A LOT of stretching and resting instead.

Sunday: 7 Mile Run, check (swap with Saturday).


I was in much better spirits when I woke up on Sunday. The weather was still crappy, but my treadmill actually looked inviting. I popped in HP6 and got to it. I've never run in compression socks, but my calves were tight so I gave it a try. I don't know if it was the socks or the stretching, but I'm not sore at all this morning. Also: I did get hit with a major case of the treadmills* in mile 6. I slowed waaay down, caught my breath, chugged some Gatorade, and then kicked my butt back into gear. I'm so glad I did because I finished strong! Splits: 10:07, 10:00, 9:50, 9:50, 9:41, 10:42, 9:33.

Time: 1:09:44 Pace: 9:58

A few thoughts on this week's training:

  1. I'm chicken when it comes to the treadmill. Pushing myself this week showed that I've been training at an easier pace that I should have been. I'll be readjusting my goals moving forward.
  2.  I did a terrible job fueling for my long run. I wasn't hungry before my run so I jumped on the treadmill without eating anything - big mistake. Also, I still can't take gus. They don't sit well in my stomach. Shot Bloks work well for me and I need to get some before my next long run. 
  3. I need to live somewhere that's not covered in snow and ice while I'm trying to train for a half marathon because I'm starting to go absolutely nuts on the treadmill. 

*Case of the Treadmills: When you look down and see how far you still have left to run and suddenly feel like you're running at a world record pace and can't image running anymore so you slow down because you're a mental basketcase.
Case of the Treadmills: It's not pretty...

Weekly Miles: 20
2015 Miles: 67

Tell me about your best workout last week.
Indoor track: fan or not?
What's your favorite fall/winter marathon (October-December timeframe)?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you're thinking about...