November 7, 2011

When the going gets tough...

I like to look at the world through my own personal shade of rose colored glasses…not in the “I’m totally oblivious to the world around me and live in a fairytale word” kind of way…I’m not oblivious to the world around me. I know that life isn’t always perfect, people aren’t all good, and getting hurt is part of growing up. I don’t let that stop me from being an optimistic person, from making the best out of every situation, from seeing the good in every person, and from trusting way too easily.


For the most part, it’s working for me. Every once in a while however, those rose colored glasses get knocked to the ground. Recently, they were knocked to ground and then stomped on. I was reminded that no matter how hard I try, I can’t control everything. No matter how much time you spend planning, organizing, strategizing…people will still find a way to cheat the system. On some level, I expected it (my rose colored glasses aren’t that dark). I just didn’t expect it to be so blatant and in my face.  I’ve always been taught to act with integrity -- to be honest, to be fair, and to treat others as I want to be treated. It always surprises me when other people don’t do the same.


I’m lucky to be surrounded by such amazing people: My parents who are always there to give me a hug, calm me down, and remind me to be the bigger person…even when it’s hard to do; My friends who will stay up half the night and let me vent my frustrations; My siblings who are willing to “raise all hell” to protect me and to tell ridiculous jokes to make me laugh. Now that I’d had my healthy dose of reality for the month, I’ll put my rose colored glasses (fixed by my family, friends, a jumbo chocolate milkshake, and a red velvet cupcake) back on and remember that it’s important focus on the positive.

Monday message: When the going gets tough, the tough (take a moment to eat a cupcake and then) get going!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you're thinking about...