October 8, 2013

Favorite Fall Foods: Chicken Pot Pie

Since I have class three nights a week this semester, I've been making meals on Sunday that will get me through the week. I learned the hard way that if I didn't prepare, I would end up eating frozen waffles three nights a week. Two weeks ago, Justin and I (minus the “I”) made a giant homemade chicken pot pie. We Googled a bunch of recipes and then took bits and pieces of all of them to create our own. This savory pot pie is delicious right out of the oven and made really great leftovers too!

Favorite Fall Foods: Chicken Pot Pie



Here’s What You Need:
¼ cup of butter
¼ cup of chopped onion
¼ cup all-purpose flour
¼ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon black pepper
1 (10.75 ounce) can of cream of chicken soup (we used Campbell’s Healthy Request)
1 ½ cups of milk (we used skim)
8-12 oz cubed chicken breast (cooked)
29oz mixed veggies (we’re fans of Veg-All)
2 (9 in) refrigerated pie crusts

Here’s What You Do:
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees
Melt the butter and stir in the onions until translucent
Stir in the flour, salt, and pepper to make a paste
Mix in the cream of chicken soup and the milk
Cook & stir until smooth (sauce will thicken)
Mix in the chicken and vegetables
Line a 2 quart casserole dish with one of the pie crusts (fold and press the edges around the dish)
Pour the chicken/veggie/sauce mixture into the casserole dish
Lay the second pie crust over the mixture (fold and press the edges to seal the crusts)
Cut several small slits in the top crust
Bake about 40 minutes or until the crust is golden brown and the filling is bubbling



ENJOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you're thinking about...