Summer is FINALLY in full swing here in Pittsburgh and it is as good a time as ever to talk about safe sun practices. Sunscreen is one of my best product friends. I’m a redhead and have the fairest of fair skin. I wear sunscreen on my face every day, year round. In the summer, I have to pay careful attention to the rest of my body since I tend to wear as little clothing as acceptable [read: I spend every spare minute soaking up the sun].
Did you know that skin cancer is the most common of all cancers? Well, it is. Melanoma, the most serious type of skin cancer, will account for more than 76,000 cases of skin cancer in 2014. Unprotected/excessive exposure to UV rays (aka sunlight) is putting you at risk for skin cancer. There are a few ways you can protect yourself from UV rays and one of them is SUNSCREEN!
When the folks at BzzAgent offered me free samples of Coppertone ClearlySheer sunscreen, there was no way I was turning them down. I’m not a brand loyal sunscreen user (hello sale prices!), and I love trying new products. There are two types of ClearlySheer products: For Sunny Days and For Beach & Pool. I’ve been testing them out over the last couple of weeks and really like the products. I didn’t apply the product on my face (although you definitely can) because I am really picky about the products I use on my face.
CLEARLYSHEER FOR SUNNY DAYS (SPF 30)
- This product is a lotion and it applies really thin and doesn't leave any residue.
- It’s fast absorbing and you don’t feel sticky at all (unlike when you use certain sunscreens…I’m talking to you Banana Boat!).
- On the website, they say there is a citrusy smell to the product. I wouldn’t go that far, but it definitely has less of a sunscreen smell than other products I’ve tried.
- I wore this product on a really hot, sunny day. We spent pretty much the entire afternoon walking in the sun and I didn’t get burnt (minus my nose…I guess I should have used this on my face too!)
CLEARLYSHEER FOR BEACH & POOL (SPF 50)
- Unfortunately, I have not been to a beach or a pool yet this summer (sad face), but I did spray this sunscreen on myself and Justin when we toured Bernheim Forest over Memorial Day weekend. It was very sunny and we hadn’t planned on walking as much as we did.
- I personally prefer the lotion application, but the spray sunscreen is my best friend for sneak attacking The Boy. He NEVER remembers to put on sunscreen and his neck gets burnt ALL THE TIME. With the spray, I can coat his neck, arms, and legs in seconds. It’s perfect practice for when I have to chase my kids around…
- This product goes on quick and it works! It also applies thin and doesn’t feel sticky.
- It also has a scent that is not sunscreen like (although I wouldn’t go as far as the tropical fruit and flower scent the website describes!)
Both of these products are formulated not to clog pores or cause breakouts. They are both water resistant (up to 80 minutes) and they will both protect you from those pesky UV rays. All very important attributes when selecting a sunscreen. I don’t know if I would have picked this product up off the shelf before, but I would definitely purchase it now. When you’re stocking up on sunscreen for the summer, you should check this product out!
Oh, and to learn more about Safe Sun Practices, check out the American Cancer Society Website.
What is your go-to brand of sunscreen?
Anybody traveling to/live near a beach this summer?
I was not compensated for this post but did receive the products (and coupons for my friends) for free. All thoughts and opinions are my own!