January 13, 2011

Marketing Is...

Here’s how Dictionary.com defines it – the total of activities involved in the transfer of goods from the producer or seller to the consumer or buyer, including advertising, shipping, storing, and selling.

Here’s how my college Intro to Marketing Professor defines it – Satisfying customer requirements using the 6 P’s (Price, Place, Promotion, Product, Presentation, People) - which by the way will be the focus of a future post.

Here’s how my boss defines it – Any point of contact with a potential customer, including but not limited to promotions, sponsorships, events, point-of-sale material, and media

Here’s how the ‘average person’ defines it – Ya know, like, commercials and signs and stuff.

I’m a marketer. It’s what I do. I’m one of the very lucky people. I knew my senior year of high school that I wanted to be a business major. I knew my first semester of college that I wanted to be a marketing major. I was fortunate to land a job in my field four months after graduating. I’m of the lucky ones who loves going to work in the morning (ok - not every day, but definitely 9 out of 10) and actually feels like I’m making a difference. One thing I have discovered is that marketing is a broad topic. Everyone has a different idea about what it entails and how it should be executed. I’ve been collecting my favorite marketing articles and ideas for a little over four years now. I still haven’t come up with my own definition, but maybe that’s because there isn’t an official definition.  One thing I’ve discovered in this field is that every day is different, every project is different. I love it, I really can’t get enough!  I’m going to dedicate my Thursday posts to business topics. They’ll mostly be marketing-centric, but I’ll do my best to include other topics as well.



For more information on my career choice, Click Here
For more info on Butler's marketing program, Click Here
Check it out – Over the next 8 years, there are going to be lots of opportunities for people who have a marketing degree: Click Here

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you're thinking about...