January 12, 2011

Reality TV

I mentioned in my first blog that I’m a bit of a reality TV junkie. It’s not something I’m particularly proud of, but as far as bad habits go, it’s not the worst one I could have. Battling a runny nose and sore throat last night, I skipped my usual evening run and opted to clean out my DVR instead. This meant watching the latest episodes of The Bachelor and The Biggest Loser. Funny how when I got to work this morning and checked my new feed, I found an article titled, Peace of Mind: Snooki psychology, the pros and cons of reality TV. 

In 2009, there were 56 reality programs on the major networks – that doesn’t even count the shows on Bravo, Food Network, MTV, etc., etc., etc. I sure wouldn’t want to be the person counting the number of shows on cable networks! So what’s with the obsession - Why does America love reality television? My guess is that it gives people a chance to blend fantasy with reality. Who doesn’t want to loose 10 pounds? Find love? Win a million dollars? Chances are, on every program, there is a participant you can relate too. It’s fun to imagine what you would do if you were placed in that situation – how you would act, what you would say.

I was so jealous of the “Pretty Woman Date” on The Bachelor that I almost dropped my Oreo into my glass of milk mid-dunk. What woman wouldn’t want to be pampered at the spa, given her choice of gorgeous gowns, a free pair of diamond earrings, and a private concert at the Hollywood Bowl? After imagining myself on that date, I also took the opportunity to judge all the crazies during the cocktail party. Note to self – don’t cry on the first date. I haven’t yet picked the girl I think is going to “win,” but after that episode, I’m voting for Emily. Then I moved on to The Biggest Loser. It’s really hard not to laugh during the workouts and challenges, but honestly, I don’t think I could do some of the things those participants do! Also – I would have totally caved and eaten a donut. I’m team Arthur and team Courtney all the way.

I will leave you with this final thought – in the last decade, more people applied to “The Real World” than to Harvard.  Oh, and here’s a link to the article: Click Here

1 comment:

  1. GIRL, You make my blogs look like they should be jotted down on sticky notes. HAHA. Yours are somewhat intellectual and longer than mine! Love reading it though. We need more "followers"~

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you're thinking about...