March 9, 2015

Half Marathon Training Week 5

Happy Monday, friends. If you're new around these parts, you can catch up on my training below:

Monday: 4 mile run, check!
I set my alarm early so that I could get up and run before work. I snoozed it twice and then gave up and reset my alarm for 7:30 and went back to bed. I prefer to run in the mornings, but I CANNOT drag myself out of bed early enough to do it. I ran on my lunch break and just barely had time to get a shower and get back to my computer. When my mileage increases next time, I’m going to have to run either before or after work. My lunch hour is not going to cut it.

Time: 37:41 Pace: 9:25

Tuesday: 7 x 400m, Check!
It warmed up to 60 degrees on Tuesday and there was a break in rain in the afternoon. I was so excited to hit up the track and do my speedwork outside. I even convinced The Professor to workout with me. We left our house and jogged the mile to the track. When we got there, we realized there was a lacrosse game happening on the field and we couldn’t get in. Note to self…check the athletics schedule next week… We opted to do our workout on the indoor track. Not as much fun, but a bazillion times better than the treadmill. My goal was to average 1:55 per 400. I took the first one easy and then laid the hammer down.

#blurryiphoneselfie
1 mile warm up
400m @ 2:00
400m @ 1:52
400m @ 1:50
400m @ 1:46
400m @ 1:43
400m @ 1:39
400m @ 1:39
1 mile cool down

Wednesday: 3 mile run, check!
It was POURING rain all day Wednesday. I did a 10 minute stretching video in my living room, turned on HP7 and hopped on the treadmill. The miles went by quickly and I wasn’t as sore as I thought I would be. Maybe there is something to this “stretching” thing ;)

Time: 28:55 Pace: 9:38

Thursday: 2 mile jog, check! (switched with Friday)
We got EIGHT INCHES of snow on Wednesday night and woke up to another winter wonderland. I wasn't able to convince The Professor to play in the snow with me, but I was able to convince him to go on a snow run with me. The roads were slick in some spots, so we kept our pace at a nice easy jog. It was cold, but an absolute blast to run/play in the snow. 


Time: 23:47 Pace: 11:53

Friday: Rest Day, check! (switched with Thursday)
My friend posted this article on my Facebook wall: The Typical Couples You See at Races. The Professor and I are a 5/6 combo thanks to this blog and my need for selfies ALL.THE. TIME….although there was that one time that we wore matching blue shirts for our speed workout on Tuesday…

Saturday: Anthem 5K, check!
My first race of the season! Even thought it was a frigid 22 degrees and the roads were slick, we were out there for the first leg of the LouisvilleTriple Crown. I had really weird goals for this race. I was aiming for an 8:30 pace but I told myself that I would have been happy anywhere between an 8:00 and a 9:00 minute pace. I’ll post a full recap later this week, but for now. Splits: 7:56, 8:15, 7:49 (and a 1:07 for the last 0.1) 
Before the race

and after the race!

We did a 1.4 mile warm up and a 1.5 mile cool down to make it a 6 mile day.

Time: 25:07 Pace: 8:06

Sunday: Rest Day, check!
Sore. Oh so sore! I did my 10 minute stretching video and felt somewhat better. I also got to eat cake from my favorite bakery and that made my muscles feel much better. My cousins both had birthdays last month and my grandma's birthday is this week so we had a celebration on Sunday afternoon. Everyone send my grandma Happy Birthday wishes this week :)


Did anyone else race last weekend?

How is the weather where you are?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you're thinking about...