February 27, 2015

Bundle Up & Get Outside!

We are still being plagued by the cold here in Kentucky, but it is FINALLY starting to warm up into the 30s. And look, the snow is melting!


My last EIGHT runs have been inside on the treadmill and I am over it. I'm hitting up the treadmill for the last time today and I will be OUTSIDE for my long run tomorrow. 

It'll only be in the 20s when I run, but the thought of 8 miles on the treadmill makes me want to quit running and become a professional hibernator.  Instead of crying about it again...I'm bundling myself up and heading outside. 

I've been mentally preparing myself since yesterday afternoon and I already have my outfit planned :) I posted these tips last winter, but I'm posting them again in hopes that it motivates you to take your runs outside this weekend too! 


Cold Weather Running Tips


  • Make sure you wear the proper clothing. Your outfit should vent - do not run in cotton! It is no fun to be cold AND wet while running. 
  • Layer up - but don't wear too many layers. I've always been told the rule of thumb is to dress like it's 10-20 degrees warmer than it really is. You want to be warm, but you don't want to sweat a lot and catch a chill. Make sure your outer layer is windproof. Also make sure your outer layers are bright and reflective.
  • Wear a hat! Heat escapes from your head and you need to retain as much heat as possible when it's negative degrees out. Don't forget your gloves or mittens either - heat also escapes from your hands and feet.
  • Make sure your shoes have traction. This is especially important when the roads are slick.
  • Protect your eyes. I don't know about you, but the cold and wind really bugs my eyes and makes them water. I recommend investing in a good pair of athletic sunglasses. This is also helpful when the sun is reflecting off of the snow.
  • Don't forget fluids! Fluids are just as important when its cold as they are when it is hot out. Cold air dries out your skin and can have a dehydrating effect. 
  • As always: carry your ID or cell phone, run with a buddy if possible, and let someone know your route.
Don't worry friends - spring is on its way!



What do you consider the perfect running temperature?
How cold does it have to get to force your run inside?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you're thinking about...