May 31, 2014

A 5K & Track Workout - Who Am I?

This has been an awesome running week. On Saturday, I ran the Strawberry Festival 5K. It’s a hilly course, but you can have strawberry shortcake as soon as you finish…totally worth the 3.1 miles of hills!

I didn’t get to run this race last year so I was super excited to warm up, stretch, and race with my favorite people. The race starts at St. John’s and runs through Starlight, Indiana. I haven’t raced a 5K in a while so I didn’t have many expectations. I knew that I would go out way too fast and most likely struggle with the hills. I didn’t have a goal time, but knew that I wanted to be under 27 minutes.


Race Splits:
Mile 1: 8:04
Mile 2: 8:16
Mile 3: 8:28
Last .1: 0:48

Race time: 25:36


I was pumped. I guess all of that hill running in Pittsburgh is starting to pay off! Also - strawberry Shortcake - perfect for refueling!

The Clarksville Summer Running Series started on Wednesday. When I was living here, you could find me at the Track every Wednesday during the summer. I didn’t get to run any of these events last year either so I was glad the first week of the series fell while I was in town. The workout is a relay/partner event. This week it was a 2 Person 5K. We decided to do 400s. I realized while we were warming up that I hadn’t done a track workout since 2012…yikes! I consulted with the expert, Coach Chuck, who told me I should be around 1:45s. I have no idea how I managed it, but here were my splits:

1:35     1:35     1:38     1:41     1:40     1:42

Whew! My legs were KILLING me on Thursday morning…and now I am craving more speed work. I’m going to have to figure out how to fit it into my routine in the ‘burgh this summer.

What is your favorite summer time dessert?
Church festivals: Love them or hate them?
What’s your favorite track workout?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you're thinking about...