January 30, 2015

Surviving The Econ Job Market {Part 2}

This time last month, we were packing up the car to head to Boston for the job market. I thought that was stressful, but man oh man, it was nothing compared to the four weeks of waiting we’ve experienced since then.

BTW – to catch up on the job market, read HERE and HERE.

We got home from Boston on a Monday night knowing that we shouldn’t expect any calls (for second interviews) until the following week. We were thrown for a bit of a loop when we found out that a few schools started making calls on that Thursday. From that moment on, every time the phone rang or we heard the buzz of a new e-mail, we both spazed for a couple of seconds. We were totally overreacting, I mean, it’s only the rest of our lives, right?

I watched Bridemaids last weekend and I'm on a KW kick.

So far The Professor has received calls from 7 schools to attend a fly out (what they call the second interview). The schools will fly the candidate out to the campus to meet with the faculty and students, present research, and sometimes even teach a class.

We decided to use RED STARS on the map to mark the fly outs. We’re saving silver stars for job offers and a gold star for THE ONE.


Since I've been in Pittsburgh, The Professor has been in charge of the map. Like a good blog fiancĂ©, he kept it [mostly] up to date and sent pictures so I could post this :)


The Professor was in Michigan last week, Georgia this week, will be in Pennsylvania twice next week, and Rhode Island the week after that! #frequentflyermiles

Did I mention that right smack dab in the middle of all of those interviews I’m making him come to Pittsburgh and move me back to Kentucky? NBD. Who needs sleep?

I’m glad that all of his fly outs are close together, but I’m not looking forward to the next few weeks of waiting for job offer calls. In less than 8 weeks, we will know where our future home is going to be! I, for one, will be very glad to be finished with this whole ‘waiting thing.’ It’s entirely overrated.

Luckily, we have a few things to distract us while we wait:
1. Moving in together aka ‘finding space for all of Kim’s stuff’
2. Writing a dissertation and teaching 2 spring semester classes (him, not me)
3. Working 50+ hours a week launching a new paint brand nationwide (me, not him)
4. LAUNCHING A NEW BLOG!!! (you can guess which one of us this is)

What is your favorite airline to fly?
I always choose Southwest if I can.

On a scale of 1-10, how patient are you?
I’m a -3. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you're thinking about...